Board of Directors Meeting - 16 March 2004
PRESENT: David Fowle, Gail Graham, Anne Hopkins, Pam Mehnert, Rochelle Prunty, Kelly Wiseman, and Karen Zimbelman.
A. MEETING PRELIMINARIES
- The meeting was called to order at 9:05 a.m. (PST) by Gail Graham.
- The agenda was approved as presented.
- Minutes of the meeting of 16 December 2003:
M/S: Anne/Kelly: approve the minutes as presented. Approved unanimously.
B. REPORTS AND DISCUSSION
Operations report. The board reviewed KZ’s operations report. Specific items discussed:
- membership renewals: KZ summarized renewals to date — two members will not be renewing; an additional three members haven’t responded to repeated messages and mailings and she expects them not to renew as well. No member complained about the fee increase. In terms of the membership survey, the board discussed the repeated requests for more educational materials on the site. The board would like to pursue this direction.
- livable wage project: The board asked about where the case studies will be coming from and generally likes the direction this is going. They expressed a strong preference to see the revised model and new materials on the site by CCMA. The board also suggested an article for Cooperative Grocer magazine on the changes made and observations after the first year.
- NCBA relations: KZ reported on her discussions with NCBA and will continue to work with them on all fronts.
- financials: The board reviewed the 2003 YE and the 2004 YTD statments. KZ reported that CGIN’s tax returns have been completed and were sent to Pam for signing on Saturday (due to IRS by 15 May).
- update on 2003 goals: The group discussed the Content Advisory Committee — its potential value to CGIN, how to re-invigorate it, who is on it, etc. Ideas suggested include a face-to-face meeting at CCMA (with or without the board), focused or focus group discussions on particular topic areas, expanding the committee or keeping it this size, etc. KZ will follow-up to confirm that current committee members are interested in participating and see if they may be interested or willing to meet together at CCMA.
The group also discussed Goal 1.F – expansion of services — particularly adding dynamic content features to the site. This discussion also encompassed the idea of allowing users to rate the content of various items on the site with no final conclusion as to the practicality or value of doing so.
C. ANNUAL MEETING PREPARATIONS
1. Nominating Committee report: The Nominating Committee asked for clarification on the current eligibility requirement for directors that states that a director must be “affiliated with and authorized by a primary or associate member.” The board agreed that the Nominating Committee should request a letter of support from the “sponsoring” member and that this letter should indicate a willingness to make sure that that person will be in attendance at CGIN’s meetings at CCMA. In addition to getting these letters from candidates this year, KZ will make sure this requirement is added to the candidate materials for future years.
2. Meeting scheduling and planning:
- strategic planning session: The board would like to see if Michelle (Schry) will be willing and able to facilitate its planning session again. The board also asked KZ to be sure to invite Paul Hazen and reviewed the list of potential topics to discuss.
- annual meeting: The board would like to request that the CGIN meeting be held first and emphasized the importance of publicizing the time and availability of food.
- board reorganization meeting: Will be held on Friday (11 June) in someone’s room between workshops and the banquet. With wine.
D. LOOKING AHEAD AND WRAP-UP
Next meeting: 11 May 2004; 9:00 a.m. PST (11 CST, etc.)
Meeting adjourned at 10:10 a.m. PST.
Minutes by Karen Zimbelman