Board of Directors Meeting - 11 May 2004
PRESENT: Dan Foley, Gail Graham, Anne Hopkins, Pam Mehnert, Rochelle Prunty, Kelly Wiseman, and Karen Zimbelman.
REGRETS: David Fowle, Patrice Jennings.
A. MEETING PRELIMINARIES
- The meeting was called to order at 9:03 a.m. (PDT) by Gail Graham.
- The agenda was approved as presented.
- Minutes of the meeting of 16 March 2004:
M/S: Anne/Kelly: approve the minutes as presented. Approved unanimously.
B. REPORTS AND DISCUSSION
Operations report. The board reviewed KZ’s operations report. Specific items discussed:
- membership renewals: KZ noted that since preparing her report, we have a new member (Chatham Marketplace in Pittsboro, NC), a renewal payment from Belfast, and payment in full from Hyde Park. This means that primary membership now stands at 122.
- web content and services: The board discussed the listserve and recent instances of inappropriate messages. The board reviewed its current written policy on the listserve and decided to amend the sentence regarding potential actions that could lead to removal from the listserve by removing the word “regularly.” The sentence will now read:
“However, subscribers who post messages that are offensive, potentially libelous to other individuals, or in violation of the listserve guidelines, may be removed as subscribers and, if necessary, even banned from the listserve.”
M/S: Kelly/Anne: approve the listserve policy as revised. Approved unanimously.
The board discussed violations on a couple of occasions by a subscriber and decided that if, in the opinion of KZ, the board, or a number of other listserve subscribers, that or any subscriber posts offensive messages, they will be removed. Finally, the board discussed the option of making the listserve open only to staff and board members of co-ops — potentially at some point in the future. KZ noted her concerns both in terms of changing from our current open policy, as well as the potential problems in enforcing such a restriction.
- virtual trade show: The board would like to discuss this in more depth at its meeting in June.
- financials: No discussion of the financial statements. KZ noted that CGIN’s DBA/fictitious business name is due to expire in July and renewal paperwork has been filed.
- update on 2004 goals: Reviewed; no discussion.
C. ANNUAL MEETING PREPARATIONS
1. Nominating Committee report: Hearty congratulations and thanks to the Nominating Committee for coming up with a great group of candidates. At this point, we’re expecting all candidates to be in attendance at our strategic planning session. KZ noted that ballots were mailed out to all members on 3 May.
2. Meeting scheduling and planning:
- strategic planning session: Gail is working on local logistical arrangements. The board reviewed the agenda.
- annual meeting: The plan will be largely the same as last year. KZ reported on the souvenirs that we will distribute to inspire contributions to the site or the scholarship fund. Gail noted that David and Rochelle will both be leaving the board as of this year’s meeting.
- board reorganization meeting: Friday (11 June) around 5:00 p.m. With wine.
D. LOOKING AHEAD AND WRAP-UP
9 June (8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.) — strategic planning session with candidates
Meeting adjourned at 9:58 a.m. PDT.
Minutes by Karen Zimbelman