Board of Directors Meeting - 14 September 2004
PRESENT: Steve Cooke, Gail Graham, Anne Hopkins, Patrice Jennings, Doug Walter, Kelly Wiseman, and Karen Zimbelman.
A. MEETING PRELIMINARIES
- The meeting was called to order at 9:05 a.m. (PDT) by Gail Graham.
- The agenda was approved as presented.
- Minutes of the meeting of 11 June 2004:
M/S: Doug/Steve: approve the minutes as presented. Approved unanimously.
- Minutes from the annual meeting: OK to post.
B. REPORTS AND DISCUSSION
1. Operations report. The board reviewed KZ’s operations report. Specific items discussed:
- web content and stats: Overall, the board feels like the site statistics continue to show good year over year growth in usage. The spam to hit the basic listserve sparked an explanation and discussion on why that doesn’t happen more often. The board is eager to see the separate section set up for co-op board members.
- grant funding or mentoring project: The board agrees that CGIN needs to develop a solid concept for a potential project before pursuing funding.
- Content Advisory Committee: The board discussed ideas of questions for the CAC’s input, as well as their own views on some of these subjects. Potential questions/topics include: what kind of “log” information might be useful to users in the index (e.g. date posted, date last accessed, numbers of access, etc.) and the idea of user reviews; ideas for a “request of the month;” how CGIN might provide background on contributors (e.g. size of store); how the index might be changed to help users better understand what an item is without looking at it; how to organize the photo gallery index.
- 2004 goals: KZ noted that we’re unlikely to reach our goal of eight requests for ideas from the Content Advisory Committee. She also noted that she isn’t optimistic about completing Goal 2.D (develop a management succession plan). The board discussed its expectations for this goal and agreed that increasing Bella’s involvement in CGIN daily operations will help accomplish this goal — at least in the short term.
- financials: Look fine. No discussion.
2. Follow-up from strategic planning session. The board agreed that the “good to great” model isn’t bringing a lot of new energy into CGIN’s planning sessions and would like to consider another model or approach for next year.
The board reviewed the proposed policy changes briefly. KZ noted that the proposed change to the scholarship policy had been “discussed” and approved by the board via e-mail last December.
M/S: Doug/Anne: approve the policies as proposed. Approved unanimously.
3. Check-in with KZ. The board discussed CGIN’s management needs and how things are working at this point with KZ and then later in executive session. The board agreed that it would like to discuss how it would proceed with hiring a new executive director, should the need arise — so as to be prepared.
C. LOOKING AHEAD AND WRAP-UP
Performance Review committee: Gail and Kelly will work to coordinate a board review of how CGIN is working and its contract with KZ. A review will happen after the end of the year.
Nominating Committee: Kelly and Patrice are the Nominating Committee this year. Pam and Anne’s terms are ending in 2005. The committee would like to discuss the issue of who to recruit and seek out for CGIN board members (e.g. eligibility to serve on the board — should it be limited to a staff member, general manager or management team member?) at the December meeting.
Next meeting: 14 December 2004; 9:00 a.m. PST (11 CST, etc.)
Meeting moved into executive session at 9:53 a.m. PDT.
Minutes by Karen Zimbelman