Board of Directors Meeting - 15 May 2006
PRESENT: Steve Cooke, Dan Gillotte, Gail Graham, Jean Helms, Deirdrie Lang, Doug Walter, Bella Waters, and Karen Zimbelman.
REGRETS: Kelly Wiseman
A. MEETING PRELIMINARIES
- The meeting was called to order at 10:06 a.m. (PDT) by Gail Graham.
- The agenda was approved as presented.
- Minutes of the meeting of 6 March 2006:
M/S: Doug/Jean: approve the minutes as presented. Approved unanimously.
B. REPORTS AND DISCUSSION
Operations report. The board reviewed KZ’s operations report. Specific items discussed:
- task list review: Steve is working on the meeting room. Sevananda Co-op will cater a vegetarian lunch for the meeting.
- membership and renewal: Discussed the universe of potential members to be around 150 – 175 total U.S. co-ops. There is nothing in the bylaws that limits CGIN membership to U.S. and Canadian co-ops. CGIN may want to consider recruiting members in other English speaking countries at a future date. The board would like to see the final version of the member survey included in the planning session packet.
- web content and stats: The average user sessions per day is strong. The board isn’t concerned about the drop in average length per session and supports KZ’s hypothesis that this is because of increased familiarity with the site, easier navigation, and easy access to new items with the direct links in announcement messages.
- web support services: KZ will consult with the webmaster to see how profile data could be available to members in different formats and will check about collaborating with Co-opMetrics on profiles. The listserve software hasn’t been upgraded yet. Dan wondered if we’re getting what we need from our current webmaster. At this point, KZ will let Paul know of the board’s concerns and see if we can agree on some improvements.
- NCBA and NCGA relations: Annual meeting time will change to 7 p.m. to accommodate dinner at 6 p.m.
- grant funding: The board feels the questions raised by KZ in her report merit further and more extensive discussion and will talk about this topic after or as a part of its upcoming planning session.
- financials: All looks fine.
C. ANNUAL MEETING PREPARATIONS
1. Proposed policy on board eligibility: The following changes will be made to the proposed policy and then KZ will include the revised version in the planning session packet.
- title – Correct spelling for “Eligibility”
- item 2: change text to read “…who is endorsed by the co-op’s GM or equivalent”
- item 3: change the word likely to able
- item 7: remove list of specific skills (“such as IT, marketing, web design,”)
2. Meeting schedule and planning: The board discussed several aspects of the upcoming meeting plans and schedule with the following conclusions. KZ will prepare a cover page to the meeting packet materials showing the schedule and location of all CGIN events.
- strategic planning session – draft agenda: The CGIN board business item will be moved to the end of the agenda. Paul Hazen plans on attending.
- Annual Meeting: CGIN has not been asked to help with the food on Thursday evening. KZ noted that it would be good to have help from board members in rounding up and helping encourage folks to come upstairs to our meeting
- Board reorganization meeting: This meeting will be on Friday after workshops – i.e. around 5-5:30 (prior to the banquet). Sevananda will have a suite that we can use; Steve will let everyone know the room number. KZ will remember to bring LOTS of chocolate. Doug will bring a bottle of wine.
D. LOOKING AHEAD AND WRAP-UP
6 June 2006 – pre-meeting drinks
7 June 2006 – strategic planning session
8 June 2006 – annual meeting
Meeting adjourned at 11:06 a.m. PDT
Minutes by Bella Waters & Karen Zimbelman