Board of Directors Meeting - 8 Dec 2008
PRESENT: Steve Cooke, John Eichholz, Dan Gillotte, Gail Graham, Alysen Land, Deirdrie Lang, Doug Walter and Karen Zimbelman.
STAFF: Ben Nauman and Bella Waters
A. MEETING PRELIMINARIES
1.The meeting was called to order at 10:10 a.m. (PDT) by Gail Graham
2.The agenda was approve
3.Minutes of the meeting of 6 October 2008:
M/S: Doug/Alysen: approve the minutes. Approved unanimously.
B. OPERATIONS REPORT
Operations report. The board reviewed the operations report briefly. Specific items discussed:
- Web content and services: Members will soon be able to download all members profile data. Listserve survey results show that there’s an educational opportunity to make all users aware of listserve policies and guidelines. Board is interested in viewing the survey data. Data available by March meeting. NCGA’s “Hot Topics” are announced in the weekly message, when available. Comment and rating system will be announced the week of the 15th, with a notice in the weekly message for the week of the 8th, though the usage might be slow due to the holidays.
- Membership: membership and sponsor drive sounds like a good idea. What is the primary message of the brochures?
- YTD Financial statements. Board listserve fees appear under Usage fees. Profit and loss statement is year to date and certain items are pro-rated. Board recommends decreasing budgeted interest amount due to decrease in interest rate in the 2009 budget. Deferred income relates to invoices that contain payment for multiple years.
C. 2009 GOALS AND BUDGET
1.Proposed 2009 goals: Discussion included:
- 2.A.1. Board discussed the idea of raising CGIN dues rather than primarily focusing on a marketing program for CGIN’s financial stability. Also, focus on new fee programs for increase revenue. Sponsorship is a good opportunity for an organization to reach a large percentage of North American food co-ops. Important to determine how to communicate the warm and fuzzy feeling for sponsors. Brochures could market the value added programs of CGIN – get more money from members. Current price per CGIN member is $275. Board favors ongoing communication with members regarding the desire to increase the fee in 2010. Possible package deals.
2.Proposed budget assumption overview: budget approved.
D. LOOKING AHEAD AND WRAP-UP
1. Nominating Committee: Two seats up for election in 2009 (John & Deirdrie). John is interested in another term. Deirdrie is undecided. Doug and Gail are the nominating committee and request that board
members notify them of possible candidates. All board members are encouraged to let specific people know if they’d be a good fit for the CGIN board.
11 March 2009 at 10am Pacific, 12pm Central, 1 pm Eastern.
minutes by Bella Waters