Board of Directors Meeting - 19 October 2009
PRESENT: Steve Cooke, John Eichholz, Dan Gillotte, Gail Graham, Alysen Land, Deirdrie Lang and Doug Walter
*ABSENT: K*aren Zimbelman
STAFF: Bella Waters, Robynn Shrader
A. MEETING PRELIMINARIES
1. The meeting was called to order at 10:02 a.m. (PDT) by Dan Gillotte
2. The agenda was approved
3. Minutes of the meeting of 17 August 2009:
M/S: Alysen/Doug: approve the minutes. Approved unanimously.
B. OPERATIONS REPORT
Operations report. The board reviewed the operations report briefly. Specific items discussed:
- Task list review: Doug, Dan and Bella will work on a 250 word board report to include in the 2009 year in review newsletter. This report will also touch on the need to increase 2011 CGIN dues and will list the new services that CGIN is working on. Bella explained the Plunkett Foundation and reported that no contact has been made on their part. Dan and Robynn will hold a discussion this week regarding the collaboration between CGIN and Cooperative Grocer as well as CGIN’s role in CCMA.
- Web content and services: the board discussed upgrading the website to Drupal six and felt it important to continue the ongoing work. It was put into a motion:
M/S: Doug/Gail: authorize staff to do what’s necessary to update website to Drupal six and use funds from unused admin travel and facilitator to cover costs in 2009. Approved unanimously.
- 2009 progress: search function is improved, but still lacking in areas (listserve archives). Some disappointment in progress of updating the How to Start a Food Co-op Manual, but feel it’s on the right track. Board interested in synching up the login systems between CGIN, NCGA, CoopMetrics, etc. Had question on if this synch up would result in members needing to update their password on one site for the other three. Bella will check with Chris von Rabenau.
The 2010 strategic priorities and budget assumptions look good. Should know what the 2010 NCGA management contract fee is in November. Added 1.A. – website has been upgraded to Drupal six and removed the interactive floor plan objective due to budgetary issues. Board supported renewing the .coop domain for two years.
Dan Gillotte received a call from Dan Nordley about Cooperative Grocers interest in collaborating more with CGIN. The board discussed the various benefits of this increase collaboration:
- More connections between the CGIN site and listserves and magazine articles
- CG would benefit from being under CGIN’s nonprofit status
- Like increasing nonmember portion of the CGIN site and supporting our nonprofit status
- CG could be public face of CGIN and the co-op movement
- Both websites are trade association sites, but would benefit from being more user-friendly and slick.
Lots of questions remain on financials, who is doing what services, what this exactly looks like, etc, but this provides a starting place for the conversation. Dan Gillotte will hold an initial conversation with Robynn and if there’s support from NCGA, he’ll organize a meeting with the CGIN board for further discussion.
D. NOMINATING COMMITTEE
Three seats up for election in 2010. Gail remains undecided. Alysen has been discussing CGIN with various people, but no firm commitments on running for the board. Bella will send the Nominating Committee the 2010 candidate packet that includes who is eligible to be on the board. Discussion included the need to look outside of the general managers and even CGIN contact persons for potential candidates. It was mentioned that some of the scholarship funds could be used to provide financial assistance to CCMA and CGIN’s Strategic Planning Session for candidates, if that’s a barrier. Travis Hance from Syracuse Real Food Co-op is interested. All board members are encouraged to notify the Nominating Committee of potential candidates and Alysen is willing to call them individually.
Next meeting: 14 December at 10:00 am Pacific.