Placerville Natural Foods Cooperative is seeking a General Manager.
We are looking for an experienced, growth-oriented leader committed to continuing PNFC's progress toward becoming a thriving and profitable retail business by participating in and contributing to the local community and creating an inviting and unique environment in which to shop, learn, gather and interact.
Our store, opened in October 2011, is located at 535 Placerville Drive, in the city of Placerville, California. We are a 4,000 square foot full-service grocery store with a commitment to providing organic and healthful products that are ethically traded and sustainably produced while supporting local growers and producers and fostering sustainability ethics within our local community. Contact 530.621.3663, www.placervillecoop.org.
• Experience as a General Manager with bottom-line accountability in a retail food business, preferably a retail grocery and/or natural foods cooperative operation with at least $2 million in annual sales, including experience with staffing, training, directing, evaluating and releasing employees.
• Financial experience with operating, capital and cash budgeting and management.
• Demonstrated ability to develop an environment of superior customer service.
• Demonstrated ability to articulate a vision and positively motivate, lead and collaborate to achieve goals.
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically and make effective decisions, appropriately balancing risks and benefits to achieving complex, time-bound objectives in a multi-priority environment.
• Highly effective written, oral and electronic communications skills; high level of skill in using spreadsheet, word processing and communications technologies.
• Familiarity with and commitment to natural food co-op operations, sustainability and healthy food production, ethically and environmentally sound business practices and related industry trends.
• Experience with and respect for Board processes; ability to work effectively with an elected Board.
• Commitment to Cooperative Principles and Values.
• Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience.
• Personal qualities:
o Enthusiastic about the Co-op and our community
o Proactive and able to create and sustain momentum
o Responsive, open to new ideas, regardless of source
o Able to give and receive feedback
• Financial Accountability:
o Prepares and executes annual plan, including operating, cash and capital budgets
o Achieves bottom-line profitability and sustained growth
o Monitors and manages all labor and other controllable expenditures
o Develops business and long-range plans to achieve Board-established goals
o Reports to the Board on a monthly basis following Policy Governance
o Oversees all day-to-day operations
o Determines profitable product mix and placement
o Delivers outstanding customer service
o Develops effective store policies and procedures
o Manages physical facility and systems
o Complies with all applicable laws and regulations
• Marketing and Member-Owner Services:
o Oversees marketing and advertising
o Expands membership and manages relationship with member-owners
o Represents the Co-op effectively with community groups and member-owners
• Human Resources:
o Develops and maintains a progressive staffing model
o Hires, trains, supervises and evaluates staff
o Builds and implements a comprehensive annual training plan for all staff
o Develops and maintains personnel policies and practices
o Determines appropriate staff compensation and benefits
o Establishes a positive working environment
o Encourages staff input and recognizes staff contributions
• Industry Relations:
o Builds and maintains mutually-beneficial relationships with appropriate wholesale distributors, local producers and other cooperatives and organizations within the natural foods industry
o Maintains current knowledge of food retailing, natural foods cooperatives, sustainable food production, consumer health and environmental issues and other related industry trends
The General Manager will report to the Board of Directors, and oversee all aspects of Co-op operations. The Board of Directors has adopted Policy Governance and manages the GM through Ends and Executive Limitation policies.
Compensation: Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
Letter of application, résumé, references, availability and compensation requirements must be submitted to the Placerville Natural Foods Co-op, Attention:
GM Search Committee, 535 Placerville Drive, Placerville, CA, 95667, or by e-mail at [email protected], by April 30, 2015.
Placerville California, the county seat of El Dorado County, is known as California’s Gold Discovery county and is situated midway between the state capital of Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. We are home to a thriving community of organic and natural foods farmers and producers and many creative local shops and artisans.
Our location in the western foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains and near the American River makes Placerville a recreational paradise for campers, hikers, rafters, kayakers, runners, birders and many other outdoor adventure lovers.
Please visit the Co-op’s website, http://placervillecoop.org/ or our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Placerville-Food-Coop/369239679035?fref=ts to learn more.