Keweenaw Co-op Market & Deli

Keweenaw Co-op logo

Keeweenaw Co-op Market & Deli started in 1973 as a pre-order bulk-buying club that operated out of the back room of Funkey’s Karma Cafe—a Houghton restaurant specializing in natural foods. These efforts were in response to the lack of availability of natural and organic foods in the Copper Country at that time.

The Co-op grew quickly, outlived the restaurant, and soon moved to a small retail space on Minnesota Avenue in Hancock, where bulk foods continued to be offered, and volunteer labor kept it going.

In 1981 the Co-op bought a small building at 1027 Ethel Avenue, but outgrew the space after a few years and purchased a larger building in the same neighborhood. On May 13, 1986, the Co-op opened at the current location, 1035 Ethel Avenue, as a full-line grocery store. Featuring a variety of natural and organic groceries, as well as mindfully chosen conventional products, gourmet foods, delicatessen specialties, and an extensive array of quality bulk foods. In September 2007 the Co-op paid the mortgage off and the Co-op now owns the building. In 2010, by vote of the Ownership, the Co-op reincorporated as a true cooperative. This change created a true Ownership by requiring Owners to own a share of Co-op Common stock (Ownership Stock). By increasing our Owners' economic participation and investment, we created a stronger and more financially sound business.

The Keweenaw Co-op is the only market in the Western Upper Peninsula offering goods and services that appeal to consumers who have a meaningful sense of environmental and social responsibility and incorporate those values into their buying decisions.

Keweenaw Cooperative is a CGN SAPLING member—a co-op doing up to $4 million a year in business.

Location Hours
Keweenaw Cooperative
1035 Ethel Ave.
Hancock, MI 49930
Phone: 906-482-2030

8am to 8pm daily

Relationship to CGN

CGN Member

Recent Activity

Filter 

Only CGN Members can see activity.

There is no content in this space.